Graybill Medical Group
Flu Season’s Coming – Be Prepared!
In Southern California, flu season typically starts around the holidays and lasts through winter. But don’t wait for the first outbreak—take steps NOW to protect your family from the flu.
1. Get a flu shot. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends an annual flu shot for all individuals age six months and older.
2. Wash your hands often with soap and warm or hot water—whether you feel healthy or sick. Since it takes about 24 hours for symptoms to show up, you could spread the flu without knowing it. If soap and water aren’t available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
3. Regularly clean and disinfect surfaces that may be contaminated with flu germs or are frequently touched, such as desks, doorknobs, remote controls, etc.
4. Avoid close contact with sick people. If you’re the one who’s sick, try to stay at home at least 24 hours after your fever is gone unless you require medical attention or other necessities.
5. Cover your mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, dispose of the tissue in the trash, then wash your hands. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
6. Boost your immune system by making sure you eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep each night.
Interesting flu facts
• It’s possible to spread the flu without knowing it. You can be infected with the flu for 24 hours before symptoms show up.
• Antibiotics are ineffective against the flu. The flu is caused by a virus. Antibiotics only treat bacterial infections.
• The flu vaccine changes every year based on the viruses projected to be most common.
Dr. Aeron Wickes is a Family Physician in Graybill Medical Group’s Sabre Springs Office. He treats patients ages 18 and above and welcomes new patients.
Graybill Medical Group – Sabre Springs Office
12650 Sabre Springs Parkway, Suite 204 | San Diego, CA 92128
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Tuesday & Thursday
8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Wednesday & Friday